Babson Magazine

Winter 2014

Scoring On and Off the Field

Morgan Lockwood ’14

Photo: Josh MacArthur
Morgan Lockwood ’14

Morgan Lockwood ’14 knew she wanted to study business and play field hockey in college, but little did she know what would transpire during her four-year career at Babson.

In addition to becoming the 30-year-old program’s all-time leading goal scorer and point-getter (goals and assists combined), Lockwood was named the fifth All-American in Babson’s history. She also led the Beavers to their first NEWMAC Championship and second NCAA Tournament appearance, both in 2010. “Nothing can compare to the feeling of winning the NEWMAC Championship. That was the best day ever,” she says. “I had a great experience throughout my four years, but what I’ll remember most are my teammates and coaches.”

Sporting a 3.44 grade-point average while studying entrepreneurship, she will begin a global management training program with Anheuser-Busch Companies shortly after graduation in May. “Babson provided me with an education that I couldn’t really get at other schools, and I noticed that through my interview process with Anheuser-Busch,” says Lockwood. “I felt comfortable presenting and going about things in a hands-on manner, whereas some people struggled with those areas.”

Lockwood honed some of those skills at Shanghai University of Finance and Economics, where she studied for four months during the spring semester of her junior year. “My favorite part about China was learning the language,” says Lockwood, “but also exploring the culture, because it is so different than it is in America.

“Coming into Babson I wanted to be an entrepreneur,” Lockwood adds. “I still may someday explore owning my own business, but right now I’m just going to use that entrepreneurial mindset in my job at Anheuser-Busch.”—Scott Dietz, associate director of athletics